Saturday, September 1, 2012

Love Knots Polariod Photo Frame

Hi everyone! Happy September! I can't believe how fast the year's going!

Today I'm bringing you a project that is a true work of heart - one that I'm truly proud of!!

I saw a great use for a polaroid frame die out in blogland recently - someone had taken one of these to create a photo frame! Genius! I read the tutorial with interest. I was sure I could create a 'version 2.0' that would be better and have my own spin on it. And I couldn't think of a more appropriate stamp set to use than my all-time favourite Gel-à-Tins stamp set - Love Knots!!

In the back of my mind I wanted to evoke the feel of expensive wood furniture - the kind with a a mix of a cream and proper wood tones finish, glossy, modern, funky. You can tell me if I've managed to succeed:

Image

What do you reckon? I'm so über-proud of how this turned out - completely in love with it!!

Image

I started by die-cutting the frame from cream cardstock and cream coasterboard. I wanted quite a few layers to make the frame sturdy. I stamped the Love Knots stamp on the top layer with a linen coloured ink, inked the edges then adhered all the layers together. Between the coasterboard and final layer of cardstock I sandwiched a piece of acrylic sheet to create the frame 'glass' (the original idea didn't have this).

Image

I hand-cut a piece of chipboard to the same dimensions as the frame front, the cut a wider gap in the top and further down than the frame aperture ended. This is to serve as the 'spacer' between the front and back to slot a photo in. Once this was adhered in place I could add the back piece/layers, cut by hand to match the frame dimensions and stamped with Love Knots as well for a cohesive look.

Image

I trimmed a strip of cardstock to the depth of the frame and stamped it with Love Knots using brown ink. I adhered this in place with adhesive tape. Once all the layers were adhered I 'painted' the frame with Mod Podge (which I'd also used to adhere the layers) then sprayed with a couple of coats of gloss spray to give that shiny expensive look I was after.

Image

To add the photo I measured the gap at the top and trimmed a rectangle of brown cardstock that could be slotted into the gap and have some overhang to finish the top and make it look seamless (again a modification from the original). I added a fold for the top so that the tab could be pulled in and out. It looks like a distorted 'T' shape when unfolded.

Image

I stamped the top with Love Knots and brown ink as before, painted with Mod Podge and sprayed with gloss spray as before. I added some thin foam adhesive squares to the tab to adhere the photo in place. Before adhering the squares I repeatedly pressed them between my fingers to remove some of the tackiness, so that they became more 'temporary' - meaning the photo can be switched if desired! The photo, by the way, is of one of my sweet cats - isn't he adorable?!

Image

To make the frame usable I wanted it to be able to stand by itself. The original idea in blogland was a piece of cardstock cut at an angle and adhered to the back, but I wanted mine to be like a real frame - I wanted a hinged stand!

Image

I set about creating one with some chipboard and stamped brown cardstock pieces (all stamped and prepared as mentioned with the pieces above). I backed each side of the chipboard with stamped pieces and inked the chipboard edges before painting and glossing as before. I used some dimensional glue gel (for extra strong hold) to adhere a hinge in place - and my frame was done!!


Supplies Used:

Gel-à-Tins:
Love Knots stamp set

Other:
Fine Linen ink, Dark Chocolate ink, VintageTouch Tea Dye Duo ink (Papertrey Ink)
Rustic Cream cardstock, Coasterboard, Clear Cardstock (Papertrey Ink), Brown Leather Satchel cardstock (Clear & Simple Stamps), Chipboard
Pinflair Glue Gel (Olba), Scor-Tape, Mod Podge, Spray & Shine, foam adhesive squares
Hinge

I'd love to know what you think of this project. It took many hours and a lot of thinking to plan the design out before executing but I think it was totally worth it! Would love to know if you agree! Thanks for stopping by!!

1 comment:

Miriam Prantner said...

LOVE this project, so much fun!