Thursday, August 23, 2012

Neon Flame Flower

If you'd like to take part in our blog hop, just head to this post to get started and find all the rules. Thank you for playing along!

Hey everyone! Welcome back for another Gel-à-Tins post! Are you all enjoying this week's blog hop? It's so much fun hopping by all the talented Design Team blogs! So inspiring!! If you haven't had a chance to participate then make sure you do - there are prizes up for grabs!!

I'm back today with another card that's embracing a current trend - neon!

I know, neon?! Why on Earth would anyone want to use neon? Well, neon isn't all that bad - honest! I think there's a few rules you can follow to make your project look glam not garish!

For this feat I turned to the Gelly Jr's Hot Flames stamp:

Image

I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. It's certainly different(!)

Image

I started with a white cardstock panel and stamped 4 flames in pink to form a kind of diamond. I then added 4 yellow flames in between the pinks, and finally filled in the remaining gaps with 8 orange flames to create a full 'flower'. I've called it a flower but it also works as a tattoo-like design or something more tribal - love that! A little tip to make sure your design is in the centre - draw faint pencil lines to act as a guide and then erase when all your ink is dry - works like a charm!

Image

In order to balance out all those pops of neon it's important to use a white base and leave plenty of white space. It's also good to add some black to take some of the heat out of the design, hence stamping the sentiment in black.

Image

As a final finishing touch I added a big rhinestone to the centre and then adhered the panel to a white card base with just a little touch of dimension.


Supplies Used:

Gel-à-Tins:
Hot Flames stamp set

Other:
Congrats All Ways stamp set (Papertrey Ink)
Epic stamp set (Studio Calico)
Neon Pink, Neon Yellow, Neon Orange inks (Hero Arts), Versafine Onyx Black (Tsukineko)
Stamper's Select White cardstock (Papertrey Ink)
Foam adesive squares
Rhinestone (KaiserCraft)

I'd love to know what you think of this card. I know neon can be a bit scary and offputting but hopefully I've pulled off showing that it needn't be so!

Thanks for stopping by!!

2 comments:

Lillian Child said...

This neon card is STUNNING!!

Mary-Anne V said...

so stunning...love how the neon just pops.